Monday 6 January 2014

STOLEN IDEA

Congratulations to winners of the recent Ghana movie awards . They've worked hard over the year and I believe each recipient deserved it. Like many of the award ceremonies organized in Ghana , none is free from controversy , and this time around it's my concern about statuettes presented to winners of the various award categories.The reason being it's striking resemblance with the the statuettes of Americas academy movies award.It maybe  a coincidence or maybe not.The organizers still have a question to answer regardless . 

But I just couldn't overlook the parity. And it immediately reinforced in me,the widespread notion of our lack of creativity and originality in the film and art industry. frankly, it's  a huge disappointment unless perhaps what I found on the internet regarding the design is not true , which I highly doubt. A picture they say speaks a thousand words , thus the picture below.


Academy Movie Award Statuette:Photo: EPA

The Academy movie award statuette
popularly known as Oscar was designed by Cedric Gibbons as a symbol of achievement in film making .

According to the Academy movie website,the statuette is made of Britannia metal, plated in copper, nickel silver, and 24-karat gold; Height: 13½ inches, Weight: 8½ pounds .it is the most recognized trophy in the world of film making. The Oscar statuette has stood on the mantels of the greatest filmmakers in history since 1929.

My curiosity intensified when I browsed the organizers website in hope of finding information about the statuettes . Guess what ? I Couldn't find any. The page is static and you can check it out yourself at www.ghanamovieawards.com. I couldn't navigate through the website or find any relevant information of my quest.I don't believe I'm the only one asking questions. Organizers need to provide information about the concept  and design of the 'Ghana movie awards statuettes to at least dispel the notion of our lack of originality and creativity .Presently there is no information and my search on the various search engines returned with an empty "query box".
A Ghana Movie Award Statuettes: Picture culled from Ameyaw Debrah

1 comment: