Saturday 22 September 2012

CONSCIOUS AWAKENING



First and foremost I would like to thank the creator for giving me breath and this opportunity to express my personal thoughts and opinions.

Until now I have been a passive observer of happenings around me. I recently had some interactions with certain people which has greatly influenced me in a positive way. In my interactions, I  realized I have been wasting my time thinking too much and doing little to promote the progress I want to achieve as an individual and a citizen of this country. Despite the fact that I strive to make a conscious effort in this regard, I have been faced with restraining thought patterns which has prevented me from expressing my self. Although I do that often in solitude.

Today has been an awakening for me after listening to a lecture by Dr. Sekou Nkrumah, son of Dr. Kwame Nkrumah and Mr. Abubakar Ahmed otherwise known as Blakk Rasta. The main topic for discussion was Pan Africanism and I believe they did justice to the topic. I have listened to similar lectures over the years and also taken great inspiration from Lenon Honor for his conscious and spirituality lectures but this particular lecture has pushed me to make a self-assessment as an African youth and my choices as a citizen of the world. I have learnt a lot from this lecture which has inspired me to express a few thoughts on Africanism.

One thing I have realized is that learning the truth is stranger than fiction in any African context. And this is typical of my African brothers and sisters’. I’ve been well-informed on certain aspects of Africanism and i am content with the experience. I have realized from the lecture that a lot of Africans especially the youth have been' brainwashed' to a degree; that it has become virtually impossible to think rationally, or have the desire to achieve a common goal of making Africa a better place.

I’m quite familiar with Pan Africanism. I have read books like the philosophies and opinions of Marcus Garvey. I've also read a wide range of literature of Malcolm X and Martin Luther king Jr. These are men who had vision in seeing the black man stand right and do right in the fight of a better place for the African. In the world of contemporary African studies it is imperative on students to be constantly reminded of their past historical heroes. It is very sad to note, most students have no knowledge of their African heroes. This is largely due to the fact that students do not study literature of African intellectuals but foreign ones. whose ideals are contrary to the vision of these black leaders ,which in my opinion is the best in order to set the agenda for conscious stimulation towards breaking the shackles of imperialism.

The African youth needs to be educated on its rich culture and history in order to realize a conscious awakening in 'these times' .

No comments:

Post a Comment